Massage therapy has become a skill that is now very much in demand. The stress associated with everyday life has caused a lot of people to suffer stress and stress related illnesses. The average person might not have high blood pressure but would have suffered from headaches several times a week. A good, relaxing massage has untold benefits to the person who receives one. Whether you want to offer massage services at home or just want to give a rejuvenating massage to a partner, there are a few skills that would help you.
1. Take your time: it is important to set aside some time for the massage. A massage is supposed to be calming and relaxing and rushing it simply negates the whole effect you are after. Massages in spas can take anything from thirty to ninety minutes. Plan the same time frame for your massage; the fact that you are giving yours at home does not mean it should be any less professional or soothing for that matter.
2. Be Comfortable: It is essential that both you and your client are comfortable before the massage begins. For you, pick a room in your home that you particularly feel at ease in. In doing that, bear in mind that the person you are massaging also needs to feel at ease. This means that even if you are normally comfortable in the kitchen, it might not be the best option for the person being massaged.
3. Use Aromatherapy: the use of scents and aromas has the effect of immediately putting the person being relaxed at ease. Pick your scents with care and heavily utilize those that have soothing and relaxing qualities. You could put some essential oil in a bowl of warm water and let the aroma rise up with the steam, filling the room with its soothing essence.
5. Adjust Lighting: The room you use should be somewhat dim but not completely dark. The client should be able to see you, should they want to and you need to have a clear view of what you are doing. However, a dimmed room has the effect of relaxing the client and creates an intimacy that is necessary for massages.
6. Be Gentle: Begin your massage with gentle but sure strokes. Let the person get used to your touch before you really get into the massage.
If you are interested in running a massage business from home, it would be beneficial to take courses and get certified. In the meantime, stick with the general techniques in massaging and don?t try to do anything too complicated. An uncomfortable client is not likely to return.
Do not complicate the massage by trying to apply a technique that you saw on a movie and do not remember it well but instead follow and apply a slow stroke of even pressure. This will help relax the deep tissues so take your time. Also make sure you follow the flow by paying attention to your subject?s reactions and how he guides you.
With all these tips fully done, the subjects are generally satisfied with their partners or therapist. But it should end there, because anything out of the massage technique is a bridge to the spa etiquette.